Wednesday, June 14, 2023

A Slow Saturday and UFOs Or UAPs

 


This may be a little off-topic for this blog. Maybe so but still an interesting concept. Give it a chance.   

 

Yes, it's a slow Saturday. So, I'm drifting around YouTube, which is now basically TV channel surfing for me, killing time. At this point I'm kind of car stuffed out and I'm looking for something different. Ah, here we go a nice UFO documentary! No, I'm not here to convince you UFOs are real or not real. I trust in your judgment on that. Now don't get me wrong I love the idea of UFOs! But I have to say I'm skeptical. This is coming from someone that's seen a UFO, an Unidentified Flying Object. At least it was unidentified to me. That's quite a bit different than claiming it was some dudes from outer space. I think it was back in the mid 90s, about this time of year spring or early summer. Me and this other cat, John, were hanging out at the bar for a little while. It was dollar draft night and we decided to head onto to the out-door deck located a few rooms away from the main bar area. It was just past dark, around 9:00 PM. This was a largish bar in the middle of the city so few stars were even visible and there were numerous trees and buildings around us. It could not have been more than the second or third sip into our beers when we both noticed a very bright light moving rapidly across the sky in a curve. Unlike an airplane with flashing lights, a green light on the right wing tip and a red light on the left wing tip, the thing we saw looked like a single extremely bright tan light. Yes, you read that right, it was a brownish, tanish, goldish color. Really strange! We could hear no sound from the object. It quickly disappeared from our point of view. 

 

“What the F*** was that?” John asked.

 

“That was wild! I don't know,” I answered. 

 

You’re right, I don't remember the exact dialog but it was something to that effect. We joked about the strong beer and the fact that no one would believe us. This was early evening, very early by bar standards and we were the only ones on the deck. Like I said it was unidentified to me and my buddy. I just don't know what it was. Personally, I don't know of any proof we are being visited by beings from other worlds or dimensions or what have you. Sorry but ancient aliens is easily debunked nonsense not to mention completely disrespectful to our ancestors who did build the pyramids, Stonehenge and countless other great works. But let's say for a moment there are real UFOs from other worlds. What would that look like?

 

If UFOs are indeed a thing, that would have to be the highest secret imaginable. For all of human history, written and unwritten, we have thought of ourselves as the most advanced life form there is. Suddenly, in the last century or so the UFO phenomenon has taken off (pardon the pun).  Well, what happened in the last 100 years? We get the start of areal warfare and war on an industrial, global scale. The atom bomb and nuclear weapons got their start in 1945. Did somebody in the great galactic council say “Go see what those fools are up to before they hurt themselves or someone else.” If you follow the UFO phenomenon at all you know of numerous visits (for lack of a better word) to military installations, some of which house nuclear weapons ie, both bombers and missiles. If some beings are smart enough to figure out how to travel the almost unfathomable distances involved, I'd like to think the ideas of war, conquest and resource theft are silly to them. Maybe they just like beer and music? Are they just being friendly, a little too friendly?

 

Some of the wildest UFO stories involve so-called abductions. The stories all sound similar, at least to me anyway. Somebody is taken aboard, experimented on and then put back wherever they were found. There is often some weird memory loss associated with this. Sounds crazy right? But this is really nothing new. Before the aliens, there were demon abductions where someone would be taken and given a personalized view of hell. This leads me to believe that these stories are absolutely true to the individual that experienced them. Our minds create reality. When something goes wrong, dreams become indistinguishable from reality. Before, religion was used to explain these happenings. I'm sure in some places it still is. Now these stories can be explained via the UFO phenomenon. Am I saying this is all in our heads? I think that's the most likely explanation. Which brings me to my final point.

 

I think it is more fascinating to contemplate what the UFO phenomenon says about us. It ties in with our dreams, hopes and deepest fears. Science fiction runs the gamut from the Star Trek universe to the dark horror of the Event Horizon. If you are unfamiliar with the Event Horizon movie It's about a spaceship that opens a portal to a very real Hell. If you like horror movies, give this one a try, it is quite a ride! Many of us love a great mystery. The UFO phenomenon is full of mysteries. One I find most interesting is the Nimitz encounters. Visual sightings by professional Navy fighter pilots are backed up by radar data, so the story goes. Then there are the famous Men in Black, who show up if you get a little too close to Uncle Sam's deepest darkest secrets. Remember friends, it is hard to prove a negative. So what would it take for UFOs to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt? Well, when one lands on the White House lawn might be a start. But a lot of people would blow this off as a hoax. So perhaps UFO's landing simultaneously all over the country then? Would that be enough to tear apart our collective consciousness and understanding of ourselves? It sure as hell would not be just another Tuesday! I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that event.

 

Few of us can even begin to comprehend the distances involved in interstellar travel, much less intergalactic travel. But the cool thing is there is so much more to learn about the universe so maybe there is a different more efficient way to get around than we currently know of. If we can avoid blowing ourselves up, we might figure it out. So the age-old question, “are we alone?” May indeed one day be answered. I think yes or no is equally terrifying!


** Also consider our behaviors when it comes to Bigfoot, ghosts, cryptids and paranormal stuff in general. Oh, and if you are looking for a location for all of this in one place, here ya go- Skinwalker Ranch!  

No comments: