Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Quiet Trepidation


I feel the covid / 2020 blues almost as soon as I wake up. I can go places at my own risk. I worry for my brother, a paramedic, running Civid patients everyday. I think about my old work family going in every day to help the unemployed. I often wonder is it only a matter of time before I get covid. Will it the mild asymptomatic version or the express lane to the cemetery version? What about you? I know you are fighting your own battles and have your own worries. It only human. We like things to run smoothly. We like regularity. We may not admit it but we like certainty. 2020 is doing it's best to turn everything upside down. I can feel it in traffic via less courteousness and over aggression. I can see it in the eyes of fellow shoppers both masked and unmasked. Don't want to wear a mask? Fine but let your kid go without one? That is some kind of crazy ass narrative flowing through that cat's skull. "Look at all of these sheeple-(a term I detest) all masked up and afraid. Not me, not my kid." Yeah fine go ahead and risk your own life but your kid's? That kid is gonna be sure pissed off if he reaches adulthood and reads a history book about 2020! Corona cannot wait until fall!

Our national government is doing nothing about the pandemic or all the dire economic fallout. They decided to leave town and maybe deal with it or not when they return to Washington D.C. Meanwhile, cops keep being cops continuing to gun down black and brown people with impunity. When those people protest and loot to express their outrage, they are met with militarized police and white national types itching for a new "civil war" utterly clueless what such a calamity would really be like. (As someone with a Master's Degree in Conflict Resolution, I think this is highly unlikely. Our economics and demographics does not point toward civil war... yet.) Should the protesters stop until after the election? NO! Then Emperor Donald will lie about how he alone put down civic unrest for another bump in the polls. I'd like to see even more protests and better yet a national strike of some kind. Just keep in mind violence only benefits the state as they wipe the streets with your remains to the cheers of the crowd as fascism puts down deeper and deeper roots. If you are a protest organizer and some jackass starts talking guns and shooting cops, that individual is a cop in all likelihood. Send them packing! Want the elites to really squeeze their ass cheeks together, I recommend very large PEACEFUL protests and work stoppages. Shut Shit Down! This is a long process and about far more than this year's election. Now there are even questions about the peaceful transfer of power.

The peaceful transfer of power is one of our keys to stability. That seems under threat. The closer the election the more dicey it may be. The economy depends on a stable government and the rule of law. If we allow the crime family another four years, kiss any positive goals for our country good-bye. We can only expect more tax cuts, more deregulation and even more outlandish behavior. That's if we are lucky! The path to complete destruction is full of pain, violence and mass murder. Not a place we want to go. And can somebody / anybody wake up Joe Biden and the sleeping Democratic Party?

"I'm not Trump," is not a slogan for victors. I thought we learned that last time! Low on enthusiasm? That's fixable. Lead from the front, Joe- give us something to get excited about. Time's wasting but it is not too late. Have a dialogue with protesters. Pick an issue and run with it; taking climate change seriously, not just police reform- justice reform, a real national plan to deal with covid and his friends waiting their turn (the next covid / pandemic) or economic inequality. There are tons more! But you gotta lead from the front. Why the Democrats always let the Republicans frame the issues and dominate the news cycle is beyond me...

One last thing... If Trump does win (unlikely but damn sure possible), the world will not end. Sure it will be a major setback, but not the end of history or time. We will do what humans always have done when faced with adversity; adapt, adjust, improvise, rethink, organize and overcome.                      

KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!!!!!

No comments: