Monday, August 24, 2020

People with Disabilities and Employment Post Covid


I'm a person with a physical disability. I owe any success I've had to my parents, those who helped win disability rights and a good education. I had the good fortune to be born after the time most anyone with a disability would have been institutionalized and soon forgotten (were we Great then?) No, this is not a political blog post. But just ask yourself the question Great for whom. At a very young age, I was taken out of my "special school" and tossed head first into public schools. Mind you, this was all the way back in the 70's. Over all, it worked out well for me. I went on to earn a bachelor degree, a requirement for two jobs I got still later that kept me independent for my adult life. I'd be dishonest if I did not thank North Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation as well. They paid for much of my education. That's just to give you an idea of my experience with employment as a person with a disability.        

The unemployment rate for people with disabilities is far higher than the national average. It runs about double the rate for non-disabled people. It has always been far behind. I think we can change this for the better. With technology and investment things can and will change for the better post covid-19.

With new technology, the employment rate for people with disabilities should improve greatly. One thing we have learned from Covid, it is possible to do many jobs from home. The days of stuffing envelopes and piecemeal production as the only work for the home bound are thankfully over. Here is one site offering plenty of opportunities to work from home, ratracerebellion.com.  The keys are education and training. These are far better investments than small, monthly disability payments and subsidized housing possibly leading to a lifetime of poverty and unhappiness. Even paying for a bachelor degree is a small investment to get someone beyond the month to month struggle on disability payments for life. Not every worthwhile skill requires a four year degree. There are numerous certifications in the computer world that take less time yet are still well paying. This can give people with disabilities much more control or agency over their own lives. There is one more thing I think could be very helpful.

I think entrepreneurship among the disabled should be encouraged more. We can learn the high demand skills that interest and excite us. With the right skill sets it is possible to be in control of our days and destinies. Not everyone can work an 8am to 5pm fixed schedule job across town. Being self employed, we can set our own schedule as well as where we choose to work. Here is a good example, toddcecil.com (used with permission). Todd has worked solo almost his entire adult life, owns his own car, house and does tons of traveling. He truly leads by example.

I'm in no way saying all people with disabilities can work. There still needs to be disability payments for those who need it and it should pay enough to keep people out of poverty. I'm hopeful as technology improves, less people will feel disability is the only way forward.

Personally, I found this video very helpful, Locus of Control. It is how we view the world and our place in it.        

No comments: