Thursday, August 22, 2019

Spinning in- What are you going to do?

By any number of measures, the USA is at or very near the end of her life-cycle. Our leadership has left the reality based community. Climate change, income inequality, gun violence, technology threats such as mass surveillance and AI are nothing to worry about. Let's buy Greenland! We have leadership hell bent on solving made up problems like the video game menace and ignoring those just listed. If this is not terrifying in a society that has far far more guns than people, I don't know what the word terrifying means. I've not always felt this way.

When I was a kid, we looked to the future with wonder, possibility and amazement. 2000? 2020? Wow as a kid in the 70's! Now that we are here in 2019, what do I see? Hottest months on record, melting glaciers plus sea level rise, the ever present threat of nuclear war (no, it did not end with the cold war), a made up separation of us and them by the powers that be for the powers that be and racism is still alive and flourishing. I'm sure I could think of more and you could to. What to do? Ignore it all and hope it goes away? Hope this is all just a bad dream and we wake up? No, we have to do more.

I'll start with myself. I see almost no hope with either major political party. Yes, the Democrats may crash it all a little slower and easier but we are in for a hell ride on the way to the crash site. I see a similar result with the Republicans, only faster with even more damage. Don't look to Washington DC for answers. I have to look in the mirror. I can help people find the job / life skills they need to get by and help others. I can be a bridge between the made up us and them. I can listen and talk to others. There is only we. Be aware of of anyone who says otherwise. I can get to better know the local issues here in my community and look for positive just solutions.

Now... What can you do? What will you do?                

No comments: