Wednesday, November 24, 2021

A Few Notes on Thanksgiving

 


Thanksgiving may be the best holiday on the US calendar; no gifting expectations, no need to add to your debit level and for many a few days off work. I have never participated in the Black Friday madness and I would urge you to pass as well. We give thanks for what we have and then turn right around and buy more, only in the USA! Don't let others define Thanksgiving for you. Instead make it your own. No or little family around, find a few friends in a similar situation and cook out or go for Chinese food! Alone? Cook something tasty watch some football or a movie and make it a relaxing day. The huge meals with lots of family and friends are cool most of the time (just don't let it stress you out). Take a day to set aside differences, heal old hurts and reconnect when possible. Some of my most memorable Thanksgivings were the unusual ones. You?

Many years ago brother Dave ran in a marathon in Atlanta on Thanksgiving Day. We went down the day before and spent the night in a hotel. He ran the race in the morning, came back to the hotel, took a short nap and then drove most of the five hours home. There were no restaurants open for a proper meal. It was even a challenge to just find gas but we did. A soft drink, nabs and a candy bar morphed into the Thanksgiving meal. I was just glad to be on the road with Dave and Dad. It was a good trip. Then, there was the more recent year my wife, Thu, got a great deal on three (or was it four??) turkeys. Chest freezers are a good thing indeed! She baked the first one with a little help from YouTube. The others she baked over time as needed. We ate turkey off and on until the following spring. So... what is there to be thankful for in these times? 

Well, to start with, the sun came up today. And we are here to greet it! Appreciation of the small things is a good place to start. If you're reading this, there is a good chance you hav a roof over your head. I appreciate you taking a few minutes to read this! Be thankful you have made it this far in life. Getting older does not suck, it's a privilege that not everyone gets. Nobody said it was going to be easy. Along with the sunrise, we have another opportunity to try and make the world just a little better. Those are a few general things. Here are a few things I'm thankful for in no particular order. 

I'm thankful for family and friends of course. I'm personally thankful for the ADA; ramps up curbs, wide enough isles in stores, elevators most everywhere I need one and travel. I've always found help getting around airports when I've needed it, even internationally. I'm glad knowing help is a 911 call away. Thank you EMS, Fire and Police Departments. I think they should all be paid better! I'm happy I have access to and know how to use technology; safer cars, computers and a more comfortable home. Those are a few things, there are more. It's nice to have a holiday built around a meal with family and or friends. 


** Covid is still lurking out there, be smart!! ** 

  

               

No comments: